turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andardoen

My wife has a day job + a self-employed biz on the side w/ $540 in '16 expenses — but no income until '17. To claim them, do we HAVE to upgrade to Turbo Self-Employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

My wife has a day job + a self-employed biz on the side w/ $540 in '16 expenses — but no income until '17. To claim them, do we HAVE to upgrade to Turbo Self-Employed?

If you are need to report self employment expenses, you will need to upgrade to the self-employed program.

I assume this is a new business. If that is not the case, the next two paragraphs are not applicable.

However, since the business did not have any income in 2016, you may want to treat 2016 as a start-up year and file the first schedule C in 2017. The IRS give business 5 years to prove they have a profit motive (the profit motive is proved by having at least 3 years of net income on your schedule C). This would allow your wife's business to have an additional year to meet the 3 years of profit out of the first 5 years of business. Claiming a loss when there was no income may prove to be a waste.

The 2016 expenses would be considered start-up and/or organizational costs. Both of these items have an allowable 5,000 dollar deduction in the first year, and the remainder of the expense is amortizable over 15 years.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Phillip1

If you are need to report self employment expenses, you will need to upgrade to the self-employed program.

I assume this is a new business. If that is not the case, the next two paragraphs are not applicable.

However, since the business did not have any income in 2016, you may want to treat 2016 as a start-up year and file the first schedule C in 2017. The IRS give business 5 years to prove they have a profit motive (the profit motive is proved by having at least 3 years of net income on your schedule C). This would allow your wife's business to have an additional year to meet the 3 years of profit out of the first 5 years of business. Claiming a loss when there was no income may prove to be a waste.

The 2016 expenses would be considered start-up and/or organizational costs. Both of these items have an allowable 5,000 dollar deduction in the first year, and the remainder of the expense is amortizable over 15 years.

andardoen

Thank you so much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies