Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

naraj

How much will I owe if I sell my house within the next 3 months? I bought & moved into it 18 months ago. I anticipate making $150k profit & $75k in regular taxable wages.

I need a breakdown so I'll know if it's worth postponing the sale of my house for 6 or 7 more months until I've lived in my home 2 years or more, which would mean I would owe $0 tax on the profit. I don't have exact numbers yet so I just want an idea of how much I would owe how to calculate it, which tax bracket I'll be in, what capital gains rate I'll pay by selling it within 2 years of moving in, etc. Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How much will I owe if I sell my house within the next 3 months? I bought & moved into it 18 months ago. I anticipate making $150k profit & $75k in regular taxable wages.

If you are moving due to a recognized hardship, you may be able to take a partial gains exclusion—that would exclude 18/24ths (or 21/24ths if you sell in 3 months) of the gain.  If not, then all your gain is taxable at the long term cap gains rate of 15% in most cases.  If your gain is really $150K, that's about $22,500.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies