turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my 2018 taxes online, but need to finish with downloaded software. I have foreign investments that require use of software. How can i import 2018 info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I started my 2018 taxes online, but need to finish with downloaded software. I have foreign investments that require use of software. How can i import 2018 info?

If you already started in the Online version you can move your return to the Desktop program even without paying for Online.  If you already paid for the Online version you can contact them to give you the program download.  

First download the .tax2018 file from the Online version,  
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420

Then see, How to Switch to Desktop,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - New)

I've tried this several times.  It will only let me browse for .tax2017 files.   When I select browse for *.* Files and import the 2018 data, it comes up as blank every time.  

No that is when you start a New Return.  Don't start a new return.  You OPEN your return.  Go up to File-Open.  You do not transfer or import it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies