turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmccoy

Can I deduct what I pay per paycheck for company health insurance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If that is deducted from your paycheck with pre-tax money, as it would be under a Sect. 125 or Cafeteria benefits plan, you can not deduct it. It has already not been taxed. You can deduct premiums only if they are paid with after-tax money. If you are not sure what kind of plan your company has, ask your HR or payroll dept.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If that is deducted from your paycheck with pre-tax money, as it would be under a Sect. 125 or Cafeteria benefits plan, you can not deduct it. It has already not been taxed. You can deduct premiums only if they are paid with after-tax money. If you are not sure what kind of plan your company has, ask your HR or payroll dept.
ThomasM

If those amounts are coming out of your pay "pre-tax" -- as payroll deferrals, which are quite common -- then no, you can't deduct them since you're already getting a tax break on the front end.

If these are coming out of your pay as "after tax" earnings, and you're not reimbursed for them, then you could claim an itemized deduction on Schedule A as a medical expense.  If that's the case, you'll enter them by following this pathway: Federal Taxes (or Personal in TurboTax Self Employed) > Deductions & Credits > Medical > Medical Expenses and follow the prompts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies