turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akgarcia

What if I no longer have documentation re: a home I purchased in 2004 and sold in 2017? I need this information to include in the Adjust Cost Basis section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What if I no longer have documentation re: a home I purchased in 2004 and sold in 2017? I need this information to include in the Adjust Cost Basis section.

If this is your primary residence your gain may be excluded from income anyway, but the best thing to do, is try to reconstruct the best you can.  

Perhaps check with the county if they have records back from 2004, when purchased.  Just do the best you can and document what you did to arrive at a cost.

Then over the years you owned it think about what you may have done, such as adding a deck, a room addition, and other items that can be added to the basis.

If you make no attempt to reconstruct this you will have to use $0 as cost. However, IRS can be very good about accepting a reasonable basis if you can show what you did to arrive at a cost (only show if asked however as this does not go in with the tax return). 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If this is your primary residence your gain may be excluded from income anyway, but the best thing to do, is try to reconstruct the best you can.  

Perhaps check with the county if they have records back from 2004, when purchased.  Just do the best you can and document what you did to arrive at a cost.

Then over the years you owned it think about what you may have done, such as adding a deck, a room addition, and other items that can be added to the basis.

If you make no attempt to reconstruct this you will have to use $0 as cost. However, IRS can be very good about accepting a reasonable basis if you can show what you did to arrive at a cost (only show if asked however as this does not go in with the tax return). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies