Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Arahova
Returning Member

If my mortgage company paid the property taxes but the amount was not enough (since they raise the taxes) and I had to pay the rest how do I report that?

I assume I don't put the total amount paid in loan information section but only the amount the mortgage company pain and the rest in an other section.  Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my mortgage company paid the property taxes but the amount was not enough (since they raise the taxes) and I had to pay the rest how do I report that?

For TurboTax purposes, you have it correct - you should report your Form 1098 amounts for property tax paid in the mortgage interest section.  And, then report the rest under the general property tax amounts section, which is right below the mortgage interest section on the Deductions and Credits page.

But, this is really just a "best practice" way of reporting and recordkeeping.  In the end, property taxes get totaled on Line 6 of Schedule A and the Schedule does not make a distinction between property taxes paid by your mortgage company or yourself (unlike mortgage interest).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For TurboTax purposes, you have it correct - you should report your Form 1098 amounts for property tax paid in the mortgage interest section.  And, then report the rest under the general property tax amounts section, which is right below the mortgage interest section on the Deductions and Credits page.

But, this is really just a "best practice" way of reporting and recordkeeping.  In the end, property taxes get totaled on Line 6 of Schedule A and the Schedule does not make a distinction between property taxes paid by your mortgage company or yourself (unlike mortgage interest).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies