turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my itemized deductions are not limited by AGI than why might my property tax not have an effect on my refund when a change in mortgage interest does affect my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

If my itemized deductions are not limited by AGI than why might my property tax not have an effect on my refund when a change in mortgage interest does affect my refund?

It sounds like the Alternative Minimum Tax has kicked in for you. As the name says, it's an "alternative" tax rate which is calculated at the same time as your regular taxes. If the alternate method results in a higher tax, the difference between it and your regular tax is the AMT amount you'll have to pay.

AMT is extremely complicated, but the big offenders are State and local taxes, including property tax and personal exemptions (the number of people on your return).

Other things that affect AMT are long-term capital gains, tax-exempt interest, Incentive Stock Options, medical expenses, and miscellaneous itemized deductions (including employee expenses).

Mortgage (acquisition debt to purchase a house) bypasses AMT as do charitable contributions. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

It sounds like the Alternative Minimum Tax has kicked in for you. As the name says, it's an "alternative" tax rate which is calculated at the same time as your regular taxes. If the alternate method results in a higher tax, the difference between it and your regular tax is the AMT amount you'll have to pay.

AMT is extremely complicated, but the big offenders are State and local taxes, including property tax and personal exemptions (the number of people on your return).

Other things that affect AMT are long-term capital gains, tax-exempt interest, Incentive Stock Options, medical expenses, and miscellaneous itemized deductions (including employee expenses).

Mortgage (acquisition debt to purchase a house) bypasses AMT as do charitable contributions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies