Solved: If my company pays my travel expenses can I deduct expenses incurred on my trip that the company did not cover? I.E Dry cleaning?

If my company pays my travel expenses can I deduct expenses incurred on my trip that the company did not cover? I.E Dry cleaning?

Yes, but to deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses, you must

1. Have enough itemized deductions (ie. Medical, mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable giving, ect) to exceed your Standard Deduction.

2. If you itemize, your deduction is limited to the extent that it exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

So, you may not gain a tax benefit for this deduction due to the above limitations.

For example, if you itemize your deductions and your Adjusted Gross income is $50,000, 2% would equal $1,000.

You can only deduct the dollar amount that exceeds $1,000.

When you enter it, TurboTax will give the maximum benefit, if any.

To enter employee business expenses:

• Type 2106 in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to 2106 link in the search results

• Follow to prompts and online instructions

To enter employee business expenses:

Thank you turbo tax Vince! I'm going to spend at least $2500 in car rentals for business trips away from home. So I will do it

You welcomed, and thanks for choosing TurboTax!