Solved: If I used a home office for 7 months out of the year do I put the mortgage interest paid for the whole year or do I need to figure out the amount for 7 months?

If I used a home office for 7 months out of the year do I put the mortgage interest paid for the whole year or do I need to figure out the amount for 7 months?

If you report that the office was used less than the entire year, and you report the mortgage interest for the year, the program will prorate it for the 7 months. Hopefully you received a 1098 to report the mortgage interest paid. Enter this form first. The proper amount will be applied to the home office and the remaining will flow to the Schedule A. 

Even if you put at the beginning that the office was only used 7 months?

Yes, if you are not taking the simplified method, and you report the number of months the office was used, the software will use the number of months used and prorate the amount of interest paid for the year.

great thank you! does that apply for utilities as well? Would I put utilities for the whole year and then the software will prorate it for the 7 months?