turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ln-warner
Returning Member

If I sell a home & then purchase a new home in the same tax year & pay property taxes on both,are they both considered my main home when claiming my prop tax deductions?

I owned 2 homes during same tax year at different times in different states. Would they both be considered my main home for property taxes. Or would one be considered a main home and one a secondary home? I paid property taxes on both. Do I lump the property taxes for both together as main home? Or split between main and secondary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If I sell a home & then purchase a new home in the same tax year & pay property taxes on both,are they both considered my main home when claiming my prop tax deductions?

Only one home can be considered as your main home at any one time.

However, you can claim property tax on all homes that you own. You can claim a total lump sum. There is no need to split them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Only one home can be considered as your main home at any one time.

However, you can claim property tax on all homes that you own. You can claim a total lump sum. There is no need to split them.

ln-warner
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. When using tubotax, it asks for the property taxes paid for my "main home", my "secondary home", etc. So to clarify, you are saying that I should lump the property taxes for both homes together under my "main home"?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can. The total will be reported as one lump sum of Schedule A.
ln-warner
Returning Member

ok thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies