dolphinbiker84

If I recently purchased a house in a different state while still paying mortgage on the one I still live in, how do I fill them both out on the tax form?

I am paying for two houses at the moment in two different states, and I put the down payment on the second house in 2018. I am unsure of how to put this information into the tax forms.

Vanessa

If you paid mortgage interest or property taxes on both homes in 2018 then you will click 

• Federal (after fully logging into your return)
  • Deductions and Credits
  • See list of all tax breaks
  • Show More next to Your Home
  • Start next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing and Insurance (or property taxes)
  • After entering your first 1098 click Add Another 1098 and enter the mortgage interest for your second home.
  • For property taxes you will enter the total for your homes combined

If you did not pay property taxes or mortgage interest there are no tax deductions for purchasing a home. 

Vanessa

• Deductions and Credits
  • See list of all tax breaks
  • Show More next to Your Home