Solved: If I put all of my net profit on the sale of a second home into a down payment for the purchase of a new second home, does that net profit count as income?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dvc10n1In-comcast-net

If I put all of my net profit on the sale of a second home into a down payment for the purchase of a new second home, does that net profit count as income?

I sold a second home for $250,000 in May, 2017. The net profit to me was $54,000. I put all of that net profit into the down payment on a new loan for a new second home in June 2017. Am I required to declare the $54,000 as income for 2017?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If I put all of my net profit on the sale of a second home into a down payment for the purchase of a new second home, does that net profit count as income?

Yes. The days of deferring gain by purchasing a more expensive home are a long time passed. 1997 was the last year you could use Form 2119. It is a capital gain that must be reported in 2017.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. The days of deferring gain by purchasing a more expensive home are a long time passed. 1997 was the last year you could use Form 2119. It is a capital gain that must be reported in 2017.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings