bloomfarm61

If I plan to file a schedule C do I need to fill out the home office expenses on form 1040?

Ashby

The home office deduction does get expensed on your Schedule C, but it is calculated on a separate Form 8829. Here's how you enter.

To enter your home office expense along with other common business expenses:

1. Open your return. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the blue Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for Schedule C and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. If this is your first time entering info about your business, you’ll be asked some questions to start. If you have already entered some info about your business, click Edit next to your business.
  4. Proceed through any additional screens.
    • You might want to enter your 1099-MISC, 1099-K, cash, and personal check income from your self-employment before you associate any expenses with your business, but this is not required.
  5. You'll be asked What kind of expenses did you have for (type of work). Select Home office. You can also select any other expense categories that apply to your business. Select Continue at the bottom of the screen when you're done.
  6. On the Here's your (type of work) info screen, scroll down to the Expenses section, and select Start  next to Home Office.
  7. Enter the info about your home office.

Ashby