mike-raschka

If I make a donation to a charity, can someone else (a friend) make the tax claim if I give them the receipt?

I am making a donation on behalf of a friend and would like them to get the tax deduction for 2017. I received the receipt, but it is currently in my name. Can they still make the deduction as long as they have a receipt and I don't make a tax deduction claim?
garrypolson

If an audit were to occur the proof of donation would be needed and at that time I believe it would be disqualified. I would check with the IRS tax code to be sure! Good idea but a slippery slope.....
ngcsones

The friends name needs to be on the receipt in order for the friend to take the deduction.