Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

If I'm self-employed, how/where do I deduct dental insurance premiums?

Are dental insurance premiums only considered a medical expense, or can I deduct them in the area where marketplace health insurance premiums go?

1 Reply
Level 5

If I'm self-employed, how/where do I deduct dental insurance premiums?

It's not a regular medical expense. Your dental insurance premiums will be a deduction on page 1 of the federal form 1040 as Self-Employed Health Insurance.  The amount you can deduct is limited to your net profit in your business.  If your business has a loss, you will not be able to deduct the insurance premiums on the Form 1040. However, you can claim them as an itemized expense on Schedule A, if you have enough other medical expenses.

Here is where to enter your medical insurance premiums if you are self-employed:

Also, here is a link to a good article on Self-Employed Health Insurance 

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies