tianajking24

If I'm not self employed but have a home office space, do I enter my income from my company when prompted for information about 'home office'?

jfreak5

any idea if this still applies in 2018?
Zbucklyo

Unreimbursed employee business expenses, such as for a home office, are no longer deductible in 2018.
MichaelDC

Yes. You will enter the W-2 income from the company you worked for from home.

According to the IRS, "The amount of the deduction computed using the simplified method cannot exceed the gross income derived from the qualified business use of the home for the taxable year, reduced by the business deductions that are unrelated to the qualified business use of the home."

Here's a little more info on your office in the home deduction:

These are "Miscellaneous Employee Expenses" that will go with other itemized deductions on Schedule A, along with Mortgage Interest, Property Taxes, Charities and State Income Taxes.

Note that Employment Expenses are itemized deductions limited to only those over 2% of your AGI.

The IRS states that an Office in the Home deduction needs to meet certain requirements. It needs to be used regularly and exclusively for work and, in the case of an employee, be for the "convenience of the employer".

TurboTax will ask a series of questions about your home office size, usage, etc. to determine if you qualify for the deduction and for how much.

Here's how to access Office in the Home as an Employee:

1.       Open your return in TurboTax.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.       In the search box, search for "home office, employee" (use this exact phrase or copy/paste it from here) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.       Enter your occupation and proceed.

4.       When you get to the Did you have home office expenses? screen, answer Yes and click Continue.

Some expenses, like a second line phone, furniture, office supplies or internet, are not part of the office in the home and can be claimed as a business expense without claiming the office itself.