turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I'm federal itemizing deductions Can I claim the taxes on new Living room purchase?

And Water and sewer connections-plumbing rough in 2 drops 80' water line on a lot given to me at the end of 2018
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I'm federal itemizing deductions Can I claim the taxes on new Living room purchase?

You can claim the state and local sales tax amounts you paid for big-ticket items such as:

- Motor vehicles (motor homes, recreational vehicles, sport utility vehicles, and off-road vehicles)

- Aircraft or boats

- Your home, substantial home addition, or major home renovation if:

a) Your state or locality charges tax on the sale of a home, the cost of a substantial home addition, or the cost of a major home renovation, or

b) You purchased and paid sales tax on the materials to build a home, build a substantial home addition, or perform a major home renovation.

Living room set, no.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim the state and local sales tax amounts you paid for big-ticket items such as:

- Motor vehicles (motor homes, recreational vehicles, sport utility vehicles, and off-road vehicles)

- Aircraft or boats

- Your home, substantial home addition, or major home renovation if:

a) Your state or locality charges tax on the sale of a home, the cost of a substantial home addition, or the cost of a major home renovation, or

b) You purchased and paid sales tax on the materials to build a home, build a substantial home addition, or perform a major home renovation.

Living room set, no.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies