turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moe174

If I lost $5000.00 as a down payment when we bought a new car and totaled it,can i take it as a loss ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I lost $5000.00 as a down payment when we bought a new car and totaled it,can i take it as a loss ?

No. At least, not exactly. A taxpayer seldom has a net tax deductible casualty loss, in a car accident, where insurance is involved. Your loss is the fair market ("blue book") value of the car on the date of the accident. 

To claim a tax deductible casualty loss you must not only subtract what the  insurance company paid, you can only deduct your losses that exceed 10% of your AGI+$100. In addition, it is an itemized deduction. If you usually take the standard deduction, you'll have to now find additional itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction. 

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab 

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Other deductions & Credits

---Casualty & theft

Or type- casualty loss -in the search box

For more info, see:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. At least, not exactly. A taxpayer seldom has a net tax deductible casualty loss, in a car accident, where insurance is involved. Your loss is the fair market ("blue book") value of the car on the date of the accident. 

To claim a tax deductible casualty loss you must not only subtract what the  insurance company paid, you can only deduct your losses that exceed 10% of your AGI+$100. In addition, it is an itemized deduction. If you usually take the standard deduction, you'll have to now find additional itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction. 

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab 

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Other deductions & Credits

---Casualty & theft

Or type- casualty loss -in the search box

For more info, see:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4684.pdf

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies