turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live and work outside the US but pay toward my student loan & interest "acquired in the US", do I file a tax return in the US to claim the interest paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If I live and work outside the US but pay toward my student loan & interest "acquired in the US", do I file a tax return in the US to claim the interest paid?

The student loan deduction is a deduction which reduces your taxable income, and not a credit.

If you do not have taxable income, then there is no need to claim the student loan interest deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The student loan deduction is a deduction which reduces your taxable income, and not a credit.

If you do not have taxable income, then there is no need to claim the student loan interest deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If you are a US citizen/ resident then , yes you have to file a US return  and  can claim this interest  as an adjustment 9 if your AGI qualifies you.

If you are non-resident alien -- then , unless you have  US sourced / connected income  you do not file a US return and  this  loan-interest  is only pertinent for your country return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies