turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ubalach2
Returning Member

If I have an excess HSA contribution and already contacted my trustee to withdraw the excess, do I need to wait to receive a new 1099-SA and 5498-SA, or can I continue?

I want to know if I can just continue through the turbotax program as normal once I've informed the HSA trustee to withdraw the excess or if I need to wait for the new 1099-SA and 5498-SA, and/or file an amended return once receiving a new 1099-SA and 5498-SA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I have an excess HSA contribution and already contacted my trustee to withdraw the excess, do I need to wait to receive a new 1099-SA and 5498-SA, or can I continue?

If you contacted the HSA administrator to withdraw the excess in 2018 and you have already received the 1099-SA and the 5498-SA with the original information, then you can continue the program "as normal".

When you enter the original W-2 in the federal and make the original entries in the HSA interview, TurboTax should report an excess contribution. It will give you the opportunity to withdraw the excess before the return's due date.

If you say "yes" to withdrawing the excess, then you are done - if you withdrew the excess after January 1 2018, it doesn't matter if you did it before or after your filed the return.

In this case, you will get a 1099-SA next year, reporting the withdrawal and the earnings on the excess contributions, which will be taxable in tax year 2018 (i.e., next year's return).

If you get another 5498-SA, you can ignore it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you contacted the HSA administrator to withdraw the excess in 2018 and you have already received the 1099-SA and the 5498-SA with the original information, then you can continue the program "as normal".

When you enter the original W-2 in the federal and make the original entries in the HSA interview, TurboTax should report an excess contribution. It will give you the opportunity to withdraw the excess before the return's due date.

If you say "yes" to withdrawing the excess, then you are done - if you withdrew the excess after January 1 2018, it doesn't matter if you did it before or after your filed the return.

In this case, you will get a 1099-SA next year, reporting the withdrawal and the earnings on the excess contributions, which will be taxable in tax year 2018 (i.e., next year's return).

If you get another 5498-SA, you can ignore it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies