turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a balance in my Dependent Care FSA and my firm does not allow rollover, can't I claim that amount as a deduction? Where is this done?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

If I have a balance in my Dependent Care FSA and my firm does not allow rollover, can't I claim that amount as a deduction? Where is this done?

Unfortunately, no.  Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts have a use it or lose it rule.  You may be able to be reimbursed for expenses incurred up until December 31, but if you have amounts that are lost due to not using them - there is no deduction for this.

Only medical/health Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) have the option of making the plan a rollover/carryover account.  Dependent Care FSA's still follow former rules where this feature is not allowed.

Most plans have a run-out period where you can continue to claim expenses incurred during the tax year until a deadline.  You may also have an additional grace period on this.

If funds are not used (based on incurred expenses by the end of the year), they are forfeited.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnaB

Unfortunately, no.  Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts have a use it or lose it rule.  You may be able to be reimbursed for expenses incurred up until December 31, but if you have amounts that are lost due to not using them - there is no deduction for this.

Only medical/health Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) have the option of making the plan a rollover/carryover account.  Dependent Care FSA's still follow former rules where this feature is not allowed.

Most plans have a run-out period where you can continue to claim expenses incurred during the tax year until a deadline.  You may also have an additional grace period on this.

If funds are not used (based on incurred expenses by the end of the year), they are forfeited.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies