• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsozen

If I donated money to charity wouldn't i get money back on my taxes?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa
Level 3

Not necessarily. Charitable donations by themselves will not create a refund. If you donated money to charity in order to receive a tax benefit you would need to itemize your expenses.  To do this cash donations (limit of 50% of your AGI), plus mortgage interest, property taxes, medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI, job-expenses in excess of 2% of your AGI, plus the rest of your Schedule A deductions would have to be greater than your standard deduction.  

The standard deductions are based on your filing status and are as follows

• Single or Married Filing Separately   $6,350
  • Married Filing Jointly   $12,700
  • Head of Household    $9,350

So, if you donated money to charity and all of your itemized expenses were not greater than the standard deduction for your filing status you would not see a benefit for this. Charitable donations that exceed 50% of your AGI are able to be carried forward. 

Additionally, if your taxable income is already at $0 you would not see a benefit from a donation as it will not take your taxable income any lower.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vanessa
Level 3

Not necessarily. Charitable donations by themselves will not create a refund. If you donated money to charity in order to receive a tax benefit you would need to itemize your expenses.  To do this cash donations (limit of 50% of your AGI), plus mortgage interest, property taxes, medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI, job-expenses in excess of 2% of your AGI, plus the rest of your Schedule A deductions would have to be greater than your standard deduction.  

The standard deductions are based on your filing status and are as follows

• Single or Married Filing Separately   $6,350
  • Married Filing Jointly   $12,700
  • Head of Household    $9,350

So, if you donated money to charity and all of your itemized expenses were not greater than the standard deduction for your filing status you would not see a benefit for this. Charitable donations that exceed 50% of your AGI are able to be carried forward. 

Additionally, if your taxable income is already at $0 you would not see a benefit from a donation as it will not take your taxable income any lower.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v