turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tjlkc17

If I don't have 24000 dollars in write offs or deductions should I bother filing them on my 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

If I don't have 24000 dollars in write offs or deductions should I bother filing them on my 1099?

Expenses for a 1099 MISC "self employed" business (Schedule C) are not limited by a $24,000 amount.

If you are thinking of the standard deduction for a joint return, which is $24,000, that deduction is separate from any expenses that you would deduct related to your 1099.  Therefore, even by taking the $24,000 standard deduction on your return, you can also deduct the expenses for your 1099 MISC income. 

See the steps below to enter your Schedule C expenses:

[Edited 4-12-19|4:09pm]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

Expenses for a 1099 MISC "self employed" business (Schedule C) are not limited by a $24,000 amount.

If you are thinking of the standard deduction for a joint return, which is $24,000, that deduction is separate from any expenses that you would deduct related to your 1099.  Therefore, even by taking the $24,000 standard deduction on your return, you can also deduct the expenses for your 1099 MISC income. 

See the steps below to enter your Schedule C expenses:

[Edited 4-12-19|4:09pm]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies