jameka1995

If I do not claim my child as a dependent but have them as a tax credit will that cause issues for the parent claiming that child?

KatrinaB

No. This should not cause any issues. However, you will need to indicate that you, the custodial parent, are allowing the non custodial parent to claim the child. In Turbo Tax, you do so by answering yes to two questions. Please follow the directions below, to do so.

• Sign in to your return.
  • Click take me to my return.
  • Click the personal information tab.
  • Click edit beside your child's name.
  • Click continue past the child's personal information, until you see the pages in the (screenshots) below.
  • Answer yes to both of these questions. 

You have now enter your child in as a non dependent.

KatrinaB

• Sign in to your return.
  • Click take me to my return.
  • Click the personal information tab.
  • Click edit beside your child's name.