turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I built a home in 2016, what can I deduct? And how? TurboTax never asks if you BUILT a house, just if you've owned one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

If I built a home in 2016, what can I deduct? And how? TurboTax never asks if you BUILT a house, just if you've owned one.

As with any homeowner, you can deduct the mortgage interest on the property and real estate taxes.  

There are two special deductions that you might qualify for:

Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit:  This credit equals 10 percent of what a homeowner spends on eligible energy-saving improvements , up to a maximum tax credit of $500 for the combined years since 2006. The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

In addition, the cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count. By spending as little as $5,000 before the end of the year on eligible energy-saving improvements, a homeowner can save as much as $500 on his or her 2016 federal income tax return. 

Sales Tax Deduction: If your directly paid for the cost of building supplies to construct the home, the sales tax on those purchases are deductible.

You'll find all of most of these deductions under Deductions & Credits>Your Home.  The sales tax deduction will be under that with the heading Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardG

As with any homeowner, you can deduct the mortgage interest on the property and real estate taxes.  

There are two special deductions that you might qualify for:

Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit:  This credit equals 10 percent of what a homeowner spends on eligible energy-saving improvements , up to a maximum tax credit of $500 for the combined years since 2006. The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

In addition, the cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count. By spending as little as $5,000 before the end of the year on eligible energy-saving improvements, a homeowner can save as much as $500 on his or her 2016 federal income tax return. 

Sales Tax Deduction: If your directly paid for the cost of building supplies to construct the home, the sales tax on those purchases are deductible.

You'll find all of most of these deductions under Deductions & Credits>Your Home.  The sales tax deduction will be under that with the heading Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.

I do not see anything under "my home" for sales tax deductions for the building materials purchased directly.
RichardG

The sales tax deduction is under the heading Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Sales Tax
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies