turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjoslin19

If I am filing taxes for a decedent and I am the administratrix, how do I sign the disclosure consent, since I am not the decedent that is named?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I am filing taxes for a decedent and I am the administratrix, how do I sign the disclosure consent, since I am not the decedent that is named?

If the decedent is not due a refund, then you can e-file (or mail) the return without including or attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

If the decedent is due a refund, then you can e-file the return and mail Form 1310 separately without including a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative. You can also print and mail the final return together with Form 1310 without attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

Finally, if the decedent is due a refund, you can print and mail the final return together with a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative but without having to mail Form 1310.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sign the return with your name as "personal representative."

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2019_publink1000201744

Carl
Level 15

Be sure to include with  your mailing, a copy of the paperwork that gives you the legal right to sign as their representative too.

If the decedent is not due a refund, then you can e-file (or mail) the return without including or attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

If the decedent is due a refund, then you can e-file the return and mail Form 1310 separately without including a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative. You can also print and mail the final return together with Form 1310 without attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

Finally, if the decedent is due a refund, you can print and mail the final return together with a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative but without having to mail Form 1310.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies