turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did the contractor as a programmer for only 18 weeks,should I report the home depreciation for my home office using for this period?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PeterM

I did the contractor as a programmer for only 18 weeks,should I report the home depreciation for my home office using for this period?

I would take every allowable deduction based on that 18 week time period. 18 divided by 52 equals approximately 35%. So, that means you are allowed 35% of your utilities, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, depreciation, etc...Obviously, you must first determine the square footage ratio of the home office to the entire home. So if your home office is 250 sq ft and your home is 2500 sq ft, then only 10% of the total of the utilities, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, depreciation, etc...is deductible. Do not forget to further reduce that 10% amount by the time ratio mentioned above (35%).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PeterM

I would take every allowable deduction based on that 18 week time period. 18 divided by 52 equals approximately 35%. So, that means you are allowed 35% of your utilities, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, depreciation, etc...Obviously, you must first determine the square footage ratio of the home office to the entire home. So if your home office is 250 sq ft and your home is 2500 sq ft, then only 10% of the total of the utilities, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, depreciation, etc...is deductible. Do not forget to further reduce that 10% amount by the time ratio mentioned above (35%).

PeterM

If you use part of your home for business, you may be able to deduct expenses for the business use of your home. The home office deduction is available for homeowners and renters, and applies to all types of homes. 
there are two basic requirements for your home to qualify as a deduction:
1. Regular and Exclusive Use.
You must regularly use part of your home exclusively for conducting business. For example, if you use an extra room to run your business, you can take a home office deduction for that extra room.
2. Principal Place of Your Business.
You must show that you use your home as your principal place of business. If you conduct business at a location outside of your home, but also use your home substantially and regularly to conduct business, you may qualify for a home office deduction. For example, if you have in-person meetings with patients, clients, or customers in your home in the normal course of your business, even though you also carry on business at another location, you can deduct your expenses for the part of your home used exclusively and regularly for business. You can deduct expenses for a separate free-standing structure, such as a studio, garage, or barn, if you use it exclusively and regularly for your business. The structure does not have to be your principal place of business or the only place where you meet patients, clients, or customers.
Generally, deductions for a home office are based on the percentage of your home devoted to business use. So, if you use a whole room or part of a room for conducting your business, you need to figure out the percentage of your home devoted to your business activities.
Additional tests for employee use. If you are an employee and you use a part of your home for business, you may qualify for a deduction for its business use. You must meet the tests discussed above plus:
• Your business use must be for the convenience of your employer, and
• You must not rent any part of your home to your employer and use the rented portion to perform services as an employee for that employer.
If the use of the home office is merely appropriate and helpful, you cannot deduct expenses for the business use of your home.
Please see the following link for more information IRS Business Use of Your Home (click here)

It's only 6% of entire house area I using as my home office,and take only 18 weeks for this business .The depreciation may only very few amount.
Consider when the house sold in may years later (the house is my primary house) I may not remember how much depreciation I claim ever.Could I not claim the pepreciation now?I just would make the house sold simplified in the future.
Is it eligible if I claim all the other home office expenses but not including the house depreciation?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies