turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I work in a dental office and last year I purchased special electronic hearing protection ear plugs that are Not mandatory for my job. Can that be used as a deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I work in a dental office and last year I purchased special electronic hearing protection ear plugs that are Not mandatory for my job. Can that be used as a deduction?

Maybe.  The rule is if it is an "ordinary and necessary" business expense.  That may be different than "mandatory".  Ordinary would be if the expense is typical and common for your line of work.  Necessary would be if it helps to you to be more productive and effective at your job.

If it is for a job for with you work as an "employee" receiving a W-2, and they are not reimbursed to you, then you can deduct them as an Unreimbursed Employee Business Form 2106.  It goes on Schedule A Itemized Deductions in the Misc section subject to a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold.  If you don't itemize, then deducting them won't benefit you. 

Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies