turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

I was on paid 32 cent a mile for mileage. Am I allow more

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
1 Reply
New Member

I was on paid 32 cent a mile for mileage. Am I allow more

Yes, you can potentially write off the mileage driven for work minus the mileage you were reimbursed for. If you are an employee and receive a W-2, you can deduct unreimbursed vehicle expenses as job expenses, but you must be able to itemize your deductions 

For instance, the IRS standard mileage rate for 2016 is $.575/mile. If you drove 100 miles ($57.50 at the standard IRS rate) but the company only reimbursed you $7.50, you could deduct the additional $50 as an unreimbursed business expense.?Even then, only the amount above 2% of your adjusted gross income is deductible. 

Note: ?You cannot deduct the miles you commute to and from work, or any expenses you were reimbursed. 

You can enter the unreimbursed business expenses under Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits,?then select Show Me More Tax Breaks?and then Job-Related Expenses under Employment Expenses. You will need to enter ALL business miles driven and vehicle information first in the interview questions. Then as you continue through the interview, it will ask for reimbursement information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies