turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was in the USA on a L1B visa starting Sept 2016, I lost my job in Sept 2018 & had to move back to my home country in Oct 2018. Do I need to file taxes in 2020?

I wasn’t employed from October 2018 to October 2019. I’ve filed taxes for my employment in 2018 in the US. Do I still need to file taxes for this year given I’m overseas and have been so for close to 18 months now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I was in the USA on a L1B visa starting Sept 2016, I lost my job in Sept 2018 & had to move back to my home country in Oct 2018. Do I need to file taxes in 2020?

If you are not a US citizen or a green card holder, you do not need to file taxes for the year 2019 or 2020.  Your last year's residency ends in 2018.  

@abhishekspradhan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are not a US citizen or a green card holder, you do not need to file taxes for the year 2019 or 2020.  Your last year's residency ends in 2018.  

@abhishekspradhan

Thank you Lina. This helps.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you did not earn any US source income in 2019, then you have no filing requirement unless you are a US citizen or green card holder.  Thank you for asking.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies