turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zotarelli

I was a nonresident alien (J1) for 5 months. Do I have to report foreign income, transferred to my US bank account?

I was a non-resident alien for 5 months unders  J1 and kept my US bank account. Throughout the year, I received some foreign income (consulting) in that bank account (during my J1 and after).

Do I have to declare my foreign deposits received? If so, do I declare it for the whole year or only during the J1 period?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was a nonresident alien (J1) for 5 months. Do I have to report foreign income, transferred to my US bank account?

If those 5 months were your only time in the US on J1 you were are nonresident alien and you would only be required to report US source income, so no income earned for work performed abroad.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

did you do the consulting abroad or from the US?
zotarelli

Abroad... there was no work performed in the USA on those projects; however, I received payments while I was under my J-1 in the USA (and I still receive payments now on my US bank account).

If those 5 months were your only time in the US on J1 you were are nonresident alien and you would only be required to report US source income, so no income earned for work performed abroad.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies