turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to know if i could claim my 2 daughters even though they worked a little

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Yes, you probably can. There is no income test for your "Qualifying Child" meaning they can make any amount of income providing they don't provide more than half of their own support. Also, know that you won't include their income on your return. If your unmarried dependent's W-2 earnings exceed his/her standard deduction  ($6,350 in 2017), they should file their own return and report the W-2 on their return.

But even if your dependent didn't earn enough to be required to file, s/he may want to file a return to recover any withholdings.

Check to see if these other dependent requirements are met.

A "Qualifying Child" may include your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or descendants of any of these, such as your grandchild.

To qualify EIC, the child must live with you more than half of the year and be under 19 at the end of the year, or under 24 and a full-time student for the year (defined as attending school for at least part of five calendar months during the year).

You no longer have to show that you provide more than half of the child's support, as was required under the rules in effect a few years ago. However, to claim an exemption the child cannot provide more than half of his or her own support.

There is no gross income test for a qualifying child. That means you can claim an exemption even if the child has a fair amount of income, as long as the child doesn’t provide over half of his or her own support, as outlined above.

Finally:

• They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes, you probably can. There is no income test for your "Qualifying Child" meaning they can make any amount of income providing they don't provide more than half of their own support. Also, know that you won't include their income on your return. If your unmarried dependent's W-2 earnings exceed his/her standard deduction  ($6,350 in 2017), they should file their own return and report the W-2 on their return.

But even if your dependent didn't earn enough to be required to file, s/he may want to file a return to recover any withholdings.

Check to see if these other dependent requirements are met.

A "Qualifying Child" may include your child or stepchild, foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or descendants of any of these, such as your grandchild.

To qualify EIC, the child must live with you more than half of the year and be under 19 at the end of the year, or under 24 and a full-time student for the year (defined as attending school for at least part of five calendar months during the year).

You no longer have to show that you provide more than half of the child's support, as was required under the rules in effect a few years ago. However, to claim an exemption the child cannot provide more than half of his or her own support.

There is no gross income test for a qualifying child. That means you can claim an exemption even if the child has a fair amount of income, as long as the child doesn’t provide over half of his or her own support, as outlined above.

Finally:

• They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies