Solved: I suffered a stillbirth in Oct of 2018, how do I add that in my return? And will I have to add him on all future tax returns?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I suffered a stillbirth in Oct of 2018, how do I add that in my return? And will I have to add him on all future tax returns?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I suffered a stillbirth in Oct of 2018, how do I add that in my return? And will I have to add him on all future tax returns?

I’m sorry for your loss.  A child can only be claimed as a dependent if they are born alive.  If they are born alive and die in the same year, they can be a dependent for that year.  You would need a birth certificate or medical records showing the child was born alive, at least briefly.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 15

You can only add a child as a dependent on a tax return if they were born alive.

Thank you
Level 15

I’m sorry for your loss.  A child can only be claimed as a dependent if they are born alive.  If they are born alive and die in the same year, they can be a dependent for that year.  You would need a birth certificate or medical records showing the child was born alive, at least briefly.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Thank You
v
Privacy Settings