• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackoo16_04

I suffered a stillbirth in Oct of 2018, how do I add that in my return? And will I have to add him on all future tax returns?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I suffered a stillbirth in Oct of 2018, how do I add that in my return? And will I have to add him on all future tax returns?

I’m sorry for your loss.  A child can only be claimed as a dependent if they are born alive.  If they are born alive and die in the same year, they can be a dependent for that year.  You would need a birth certificate or medical records showing the child was born alive, at least briefly.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

You can only add a child as a dependent on a tax return if they were born alive.
jackoo16_04

Thank you
Opus 17
Level 15

I’m sorry for your loss.  A child can only be claimed as a dependent if they are born alive.  If they are born alive and die in the same year, they can be a dependent for that year.  You would need a birth certificate or medical records showing the child was born alive, at least briefly.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

jackoo16_04

Thank You
Privacy Settings
v