turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I successfully efile but TT said I have not.

Last year, I was one of the victims of the foreign credit schedule 116 with TT 2020.

I was able to e-file with the workarounds discussed on the forum, with a PDF to show for it\

However today as i was planning to import to the 2021 TT, my past 2020 TT said I have not efile

I go through the continue to check status but showed I have not efiled

Question:

Can I import 2020 unfiled tax TT file to new 2021 TT for next year?

Or Do i Use the 2020 pdf file that showed a successful 2020 filed return to import?

Or start from scratch ... 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I import 2020 unfiled tax TT file to new 2021 TT for next year?  Yes you can.

Yes you can transfer from any .tax2021 file.   Every year I transfer several test files that are not finished or filed.  You need the file ending in .tax2021 to transfer.  In Windows it should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder or search your computer for all files ending in .tax2021 or .tax.  If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like "~your name.tax2021". That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Oh I missed you were asking about Transferring 2020 to 2021.  YES, same answer as above just change the years.   So you need the file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.    Do you have the .tax2020 file?  

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2020 installed? Try opening 2020 program and see if you can get your 2020 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN. And see if that is the right one.

In the 2020 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2020. Then close the 2020 program. Then start a new 2021 return and transfer from the 2020 file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

I was able to import the tax file 2021 to my new TT Deluxe 2022,

But I hope this year TT 2022 will not have bugs I experienced last year ( Foreign Credit schedule 1116 missing) and incorrect efiling status ( efiled but TT has no record of it thus had to use this incorrect 2021 tax file to import to 2022) 

Wishing everyone to have a better tax filing this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies