Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigtim78cwb

I spent all 900 bucks of my hsa money on non-qualifying medical expenses how do I pay this back? And where does the money go anlong with the xtra 10% I'll be taxed ?

When I pay this back where does the money go and not 10% tax
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I spent all 900 bucks of my hsa money on non-qualifying medical expenses how do I pay this back? And where does the money go anlong with the xtra 10% I'll be taxed ?

When you answer all the HSA questions, one of the questions is "did you use all the money for qualified expenses."  Answer no.  You will then be asked how much was qualified and how much was not qualified.  Turbotax will add that information to form 8889 and the tax and penalty will be calculated and rolled in to your overall tax owed or refund amount.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

When you answer all the HSA questions, one of the questions is "did you use all the money for qualified expenses."  Answer no.  You will then be asked how much was qualified and how much was not qualified.  Turbotax will add that information to form 8889 and the tax and penalty will be calculated and rolled in to your overall tax owed or refund amount.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
ghost
Level 8

There is no way to return this money if you knowingly spent the money on non-medical items.
If you paid a medical expense and then received an insurance adjustment that covered the expense, you could request your HSA bank to accept a return of distribution on that basis.
Besides the regular income tax, the penalty is actually 20% for non-medical usage.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v