turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shawk50

I sold my home in Arizona in 2016 but have lived in New Mexico since September, 2015. Will I be able to Use Turbo Tax for my 2016 filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I sold my home in Arizona in 2016 but have lived in New Mexico since September, 2015. Will I be able to Use Turbo Tax for my 2016 filing?

Yes.  You should be able to use 2016 TurboTax to file both your federal and state taxes for the tax year of 2016.  As far as the previous year,  you will need the 2015 TurboTax version if there's any income incurred during the tax year of 2015. 

In the federal section, you will choose New Mexico as your state of residence.  Answer Yes to question asks if you have income from another state and follow the prompts.  

For the states, you should file a residency state for New Mexico and a nonresident return for Arizona reporting sale of home income. In the program, in order to avoid double taxation, after going through the step-by-step interview questions in the federal section, make sure you complete your nonresident state section first, before your residency state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes.  You should be able to use 2016 TurboTax to file both your federal and state taxes for the tax year of 2016.  As far as the previous year,  you will need the 2015 TurboTax version if there's any income incurred during the tax year of 2015. 

In the federal section, you will choose New Mexico as your state of residence.  Answer Yes to question asks if you have income from another state and follow the prompts.  

For the states, you should file a residency state for New Mexico and a nonresident return for Arizona reporting sale of home income. In the program, in order to avoid double taxation, after going through the step-by-step interview questions in the federal section, make sure you complete your nonresident state section first, before your residency state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies