I sold my home for less than the mortgage and paid it off with cash (not a short sale) can I deduct any of this loss?

No, there is no deduction for the loss on the sale of a personal residence. 

Also, it's possible that you actually had a gain on the sale, if you sold it for more than your purchase price, plus any improvements you made. The amount of your mortgage isn't part of the calculation.

However, you can elect to exclude up to $250,000 of gain ($500,000 for a joint return) on the sale of a principal residence, if you qualify.

Here is a link discussing selling a home.