turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my home 8/2017 purchased in 8/2015. The home for 210,000 and sold for 320,000. We meet all gain exclusions yet TurboTax says I owe a capital gains.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I sold my home 8/2017 purchased in 8/2015. The home for 210,000 and sold for 320,000. We meet all gain exclusions yet TurboTax says I owe a capital gains.

You You should report the sale of your home on your Federal return, even if the gain qualifies   to be excluded. You should do this to document, to the IRS, that you do qualify for the exclusion.  Some states have different rules and from your question I can not tell if you owe Capital Gains for  your State or for Federal.  However, lets make sure you put the sale in the correct place in Turbo Tax, so it is identified as a sale of a personal residence.  

The menu path for entering this in TurboTax is as follows:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Less Common Income
  4. Sale of Home (gain or loss)

Go back through all the questions an double check your answers.  I hope this works!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You You should report the sale of your home on your Federal return, even if the gain qualifies   to be excluded. You should do this to document, to the IRS, that you do qualify for the exclusion.  Some states have different rules and from your question I can not tell if you owe Capital Gains for  your State or for Federal.  However, lets make sure you put the sale in the correct place in Turbo Tax, so it is identified as a sale of a personal residence.  

The menu path for entering this in TurboTax is as follows:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Less Common Income
  4. Sale of Home (gain or loss)

Go back through all the questions an double check your answers.  I hope this works!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies