I sold my farm including my residence. The initia...

I sold my farm including my residence. The initial price included the residence and land. Improvements to both were greater than the gains. how do I file this?

Since you have no capital gain you may  only need to report the sale for information purposes. If you did have a capital gain you may still qualify for the exclusion on the sale of your home: If you have a capital gain from the sale of your main home, you may qualify to exclude up to $250,000 of that gain from your income, or up to $500,000 of that gain if you file a joint return with your spouse. Publication 523, Selling Your Home provides rules and worksheets. Topic No. 409 covers general capital gain and loss information.

If you receive an informational income-reporting document such as Form 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions (PDF), you must report the sale of the home even if the gain from the sale is excludable. Additionally, you must report the sale of the home if you can't exclude all of your capital gain from income. Use Form 1040, Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses (PDF) and Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (PDF) when required to report the home sale. Refer to Publication 523 for the rules on reporting your sale on your income tax return.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

If you filed schedule C or Schedule F, in the past, for farm income or losses, and those schedules included any depreciation expense (barns, sheds, fences, etc), you must claim depreciation recapture in the year you sell the property.