turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold and purchased a new home in 2017. I do not have any of the documents from original purchase. How do I enter the required information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I sold and purchased a new home in 2017. I do not have any of the documents from original purchase. How do I enter the required information?

You will either need to locate the Settlement Documents from the Original Purchase of the Home, or somehow reconstruct those amounts.  

You should start by contacting the settlement agent for the purchase of the home and hopefully they will be able to supply you with a copy of the Settlement Documents.  Other parties that may have copies of the Settlement Documents include your real estate agent, the seller's real estate agent, mortgage broker, the financial institution that held the loan for the property, or the seller himself. 

If you are unable to obtain the settlement papers from any of those parties, you will need to reconstruct the transaction and estimate the amounts from whatever evidence you can gather from bank records, emails/correspondence, old property tax bills, or any other documentation involving the purchase or value of the Home that you sold.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies