turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Myje

I know I can deduct sales tax and car payments on a leased car for business but can I deduct my down payment I paid for the car?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I know I can deduct sales tax and car payments on a leased car for business but can I deduct my down payment I paid for the car?

You can deduct the advance or down payment required to lease your business vehicle, but you must spread the deduction out equally over the entire lease period.

If the vehicle has both business and personal use, you must pro-rate your deductions accordingly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Myje

Thank you for answering!  Can you direct me to where I can enter this in Turbo Tax?  
TomD8
Level 15

I should have asked this first: Are you self-employed and filing a Schedule C? Or are you a W-2 employee?
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Myje

I'm self employed and filing a Schedule C.
TomD8
Level 15

Click the Business tab and go to Business Income and Expenses> Business Expenses> Business Vehicle Expense.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies