ocianfichi

I replaced a gas furnace with a energy efficient boiler. Will I get a deduction for it this year?

HelenC1

Yes, you can. If you made energy efficient improvements to your home like energy-saving roofs, windows, skylights, and doors, you'll be able to claim the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit for 10% of amounts paid for qualified energy efficiency improvements, up to a lifetime cap of $500 or fixed dollar amounts ranging from $50 to $300 for energy efficient property, including furnaces, boilers, biomass stoves, heat pumps, water heaters, central air conditioners, and circulating fans.

These are entered in the Deductions & Credits section of TurboTax:

1. Open your return, if you don't already have it open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for energy improvements. (Do not search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong place in the program.)
  3. Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  4. At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and continue. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Tip:  You can see which energy-saving home improvements qualify for a federal tax credit at the Energy Star website.

Related Information:

[Edited 3-10-2020|9:28 am PST]