turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kllazer96

I refinanced twice in 2020, but my total mortgage is $600,000. Turbotax won't let deduct because it thinks I've gone over $750,000. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I refinanced twice in 2020, but my total mortgage is $600,000. Turbotax won't let deduct because it thinks I've gone over $750,000. How do I fix this?

If you've refinanced or had your mortgage lender changed, the outstanding mortgage principal listed in the combined total of them on Line 2 of the 1098 will be too large.

When you put an outstanding balance on multiple 1098 forms, then the program adds them together and if that number is greater than $750k, then it puts you in the category to "limit interest".

To get that to go away, you need to go back to the deductions section and click on "edit" mortgage interest statement. Enter both 1098's.

Change the line 2 of the mortgage that you no longer owe on (like the one that you refinanced and paid off) to a 0 (zero) because you have refinanced out of that loan and no longer have an "outstanding mortgage principal".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I tried doing this but it says "outstanding mortgage principal must have a balance." So, it does not let me continue. What to do now?

I read more and you guys said that I should add  the 3 1098 forms as one. Then, I should keep my current lender name in the one form right?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is correct. This way, the combined balances will not be reported and will stay at $600K, thus not limiting your mortgage interest.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies