I refinanced twice in 2020, but my total mortgage ...

kllazer96

I refinanced twice in 2020, but my total mortgage is $600,000. Turbotax won't let deduct because it thinks I've gone over $750,000. How do I fix this?

JohnB5677

If you've refinanced or had your mortgage lender changed, the outstanding mortgage principal listed in the combined total of them on Line 2 of the 1098 will be too large.

When you put an outstanding balance on multiple 1098 forms, then the program adds them together and if that number is greater than $750k, then it puts you in the category to "limit interest".

To get that to go away, you need to go back to the deductions section and click on "edit" mortgage interest statement. Enter both 1098's.

Change the line 2 of the mortgage that you no longer owe on (like the one that you refinanced and paid off) to a 0 (zero) because you have refinanced out of that loan and no longer have an "outstanding mortgage principal".

Solshine

Hi, I tried doing this but it says "outstanding mortgage principal must have a balance." So, it does not let me continue. What to do now?

Solshine

I read more and you guys said that I should add  the 3 1098 forms as one. Then, I should keep my current lender name in the one form right?

DaveF1006

Yes, that is correct. This way, the combined balances will not be reported and will stay at $600K, thus not limiting your mortgage interest.