turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

topher423

I refinanced my mortgage and added my unmarried partner. Do we split the mortgage interest or should I still claim it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I refinanced my mortgage and added my unmarried partner. Do we split the mortgage interest or should I still claim it?

For the mortgage interest, if you and your partner are both on the loan, then you each deduct what you actually pay.

For the property taxes, you can only deduct the part you actually pay, and only if you are an owner of the property.  If, somehow, your partner is on the loan but not the deed (which would be a huge oversight by your partner, as they are now obligated on a debt for property they have no legal right to) then they can't deduct property taxes even if they contributed to the escrow payments. 

Yes, you can split the mortgage interest. Each of you can deduct their portion of interest paid. When entering the 1098 only enter the amount that you actually paid, not the full amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies