turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlk720

I received an audit on my NYS taxes. It looks like I entered $75,000 instead of $7,500 for the amount of real estate taxes paid. Why didn't turbo tax catch this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received an audit on my NYS taxes. It looks like I entered $75,000 instead of $7,500 for the amount of real estate taxes paid. Why didn't turbo tax catch this?

The TurboTax software would have no way to know that you entered an incorrect amount for the property taxes paid.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

How would the program know this is wrong?
mlk720

Because it was entered correctly on my Federal return

You are looking at IRS 1040 Schedule A line 6?

If you entered $7500 on schedule A but $75,000 in the state program, there is a possibility that the program made an error.  However this would be very unusual.  It is also possible that NYS created an error when they entered your data, have you checked your printed NY tax form?

Thirdly, there are some other places the error could cause a problem.  Looking at your NY IT-201, is the problem that line34 is too high (your itemized deductions)?  Or is the problem that your real property tax credit on line 67 is too high?  If line 67, this will be your data entry error.  Just because you enter $7500 of property taxes on your federal return does not mean that is all property owned in NYS, or that it is all qualifying residential property for the NY real property tax credit.  So the $7500 from schedule A will flow to NY form IT-201D on line 2 and then to IT-201 line 34, but you were asked separately about qualifying property tax for the real property tax credit.  You may have added a zero there by mistake.

The TurboTax software would have no way to know that you entered an incorrect amount for the property taxes paid.

Unless this was on a state-specific section, then you probably claimed the wrong deduction on your federal return too and will need to file an amended return to repay the excess refund due to the mistake.  Instructions are here.   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565</a>

If you agree with the change proposed by NYS, you don't have to file an amended return with them, just send them a check and they will adjust your file.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies