turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amyjblack

I received a 1099-S for my share of the sale of my parents home, the proceeds from the sale should not be taxable what do I do with the 1099-S I received?

The house was still in the estate value less than 5K
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
jtax
Level 10

I received a 1099-S for my share of the sale of my parents home, the proceeds from the sale should not be taxable what do I do with the 1099-S I received?

Sorry for your loss.

If the house was actually owned by the estate and the 1099-S is in the estate's name, the executor needs to file an estate form 1041 tax return. The executor/personal representative must file a 1041 if the estate has gross (not net) income of $600 or more. See page 4 "Who Must File" https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdf

The cost basis would be fair market value as of the owner's death, probably resulting in no gain or a loss.

I say if the home was actually owned by the estate because that can be a tricky question. In some states the home is immediately owned by the beneficiary after the death of the owner, subject to pulling back into the estate to pay debts. Other states that is not so and the estate owns the property until the executor sells it. That is a question for an estate/probate/trusts attorney in the state the house was in.

While you can buy Turbotax Business (not home and business) to file a 1041, this is pretty complicated and you may be best seeing the advice of a estate/probate/trusts/tax attorney or a CPA or EA who works in this area.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies