I receive distributions from a Canadian RRIF. These have tax witheld at source. The distributions are taxable in U.S. How do I get credit for foreign tax paid?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wacky2

I receive distributions from a Canadian RRIF. These have tax witheld at source. The distributions are taxable in U.S. How do I get credit for foreign tax paid?

2 Replies
PatriciaR

Here are the steps to enter Foreign Taxes paid:

• Sign into your TurboTax account and click Take me to my return
  • Select Federal (in left column)
  • Select Deductions & Credits (top of program)
  • If you see Check for more tax breaks - select that option (click on screenshot below for details)
  • This will open another option that reads See list of all tax breaks (click on screenshot below)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (you may need to select Show moreclick on screenshot below
  • Enter the amounts converted to U.S. dollars as of the transaction date. Please click this link for historical conversion rates:  Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange   

For more information specific to the US/Canadian tax treaty, please see IRS Pub 597 Information on the United States-Canada Tax Treaty

george-geyer

Click on Foreign taxes and takes you back to the RRIP income section where not given a place to enter foreign taxes paid.  Circular!!
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings