Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ebreton25

I receive a un-taxed car stipend for my personal vehicle from my employer. I also receive 17 cents per mile driven. Can I claim the difference of the federal rate?

I also have mileage logs for all months. Mostly just wondering if the stipend affects being able to claim the miles or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

I receive a un-taxed car stipend for my personal vehicle from my employer. I also receive 17 cents per mile driven. Can I claim the difference of the federal rate?

If you receive a car allowance that is not included in your wages, and the car allowance is less than the deduction available under the standard mileage, you can include the mileage and reimbursement in the unreimbursed employee business expense section and take a deduction for the amount that your mileage is greater than the stipend.

However, if the stipend amount is greater than the deduction available under the standard mileage rate, the difference is taxable income that would be included in your wages.

To enter your mileage, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your return.
  2. Click on the Federal category on the left hand navigation bar.
  3. Click on the Deductions and Credits Tab at the top of your screen.
  4. In the list of Deductions and Credits, find the section labeled Employment Expenses and click show more.
  5. Click start next to Job Expenses for W-2 Income.
  6. Continue until you hit the screen labeled Any Vehicle Expenses or Sales? and answer yes.
  7. Enter your mileage on the screen labeled How do you want to enter your mileage for your car?
  8. Continue through to the screen labeled "Reimbursements for your expenses".
  9. Answer no to the question about meal reimbursements (unless you have those as well).
  10. Enter the stipend on the screen labeled Tell us about reimbursements.
  11. Continue through to the end of the screens.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies