turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I quit my old job in October and left the US in December 2018. I started a new job abroad in January 2019. In which tax year can I claim my moving expenses ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I quit my old job in October and left the US in December 2018. I started a new job abroad in January 2019. In which tax year can I claim my moving expenses ?

Unfortunately, the moving expense deduction is no longer available in tax years 2018 – 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302201

TurboTax' Help is confusing: "If you’re an active-duty service member who relocated due to a permanent change of station (PCS), your move automatically qualifies. If not, your move will need to meet certain requirements.
To qualify for this deduction as a full-time employee, you'll need to work at the new location for at least 39 weeks in the 12-month period, once you've arrived in your new city. …."
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are not active duty military, you can, unfortunately, no longer claim moving expenses due to the changes in the tax law.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies